JOB OPENING – American Jewish Congress Communications Director
The American Jewish Congress is seeking to hire a Communications Director. This is a full-time position, is located in New York, and reports to the Executive Director. The American Jewish Congress is a nonpartisan 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization focused on advancing Jewish interests and rights both at home and abroad. Founded in 1918 by American Jewish leaders, including Justice Louis Brandeis, Albert Einstein, Golda Meir, and Rabbi Stephen S. Wise, we represent both the legacy and future of the Jewish community. More information about the American Jewish Congress can be found at https://ajcongress.org.
The Communications Director should be passionate about the organization’s core work in countering domestic terrorism and white supremacy; advancing peace and security for Israel; and standing up for American democracy and civil rights. Responsibilities will include, but are not limited to:
- Strategic Communications: Develop a strategic communications plan that expands our base of support and builds brand identification through social media, email, and traditional media activities.
- Writing & Messaging: Lead in the drafting, editing, and distribution of all external press materials, including press releases, statements, talking points, blog posts, OpEds, memos, and videos. Prepare speeches, presentations, and other supporting materials as needed.
- Social Media, Email, and Website Management: Draft and implement online activities, including assisting with website updates, email distribution, and social media campaigns.
- Rapid Response: Prepare rapid response messaging guidance that provides consistent organizational reaction to near term, quick turnaround developments.
- Media Engagement: Identify, prioritize, and secure media opportunities; cultivate relationships with bookers, producers, and reporters to ensure coverage of our work on issues of strategic importance. Serve as lead point person on media interactions that help promote and/or impact the organization. Actively cultivate and manage press relationships to ensure coverage.
The candidate must have at least five years of experience working in communications for advocacy groups, in government, or for political organizations or candidates. Other requirements include:
- Ability to think strategically and plan long-term.
- Ability to tactically respond to rapidly changing communications events.
- Expertise in social media strategy and execution.
- Expertise in email campaign writing and distribution.
- Excellent writing skills, with experience crafting both short and long form pieces.
- Experience developing press materials about complex policy issues for diverse audiences.
- Experience working with reporters, including as an on-the-record spokesperson.
- Experience in video editing.
- Experience in planning media events.
- Ability to meet tight deadlines and work effectively in high intensity environments.
- Creativity and self-motivation.
American Jewish Congress’ Equal Opportunity Policy:
The American Jewish Congress is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Women, people of color, people with disabilities, and LGBTQ candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
Compensation and Benefits:
Salary range is $75,000 – $90,000 and will be commensurate with experience. Employee is entitled to all paid holidays, including Jewish holidays, plus 15 days of paid time off annually. Health insurance is included.
How to Apply:
Applications will be considered on a rolling basis. Please send a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.